Jow Ortiz and Charlie Nobles discussed the aging US electric grid and described how the sensing and monitoring solutions created by FPL and Ubicquia are helping facilitate the shift to a condition-based asset management program. This paper was developed based on that discussion. Here are some of the key takeaways:
- Aging utility infrastructure and changing customer needs are driving grid monitoring solutions.
- FPL has developed a vision of a grid of the future and a technology strategy to maximize smart grid value.
- FPL and Ubicquia defined three grid sensor requirements for their data and utility solutions.
- FPL and Ubicquia capitalized on their respective strengths to co-develop two initial products.
- Artificial intelligence predicts and extends the longevity of assets.